StartSampling Forums

Go Back   StartSampling Forums > General Discussion > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 10:05 AM

Default ? having to claim last years refund

Do you have to claim the previous years refund from the feds & state on your state tax form every year?

Example and this is why I'm asking...here in California we have to claim 2006 refunds as income on our 2007 STATE Tax Return.
I wondered if any other states were like this...
I think it is so unfair to tax and then be taxed again

Old 02-07-2008, 12:28 PM

Send a message via MSN to mood4amelody

Yup, every year they ask how much we got for federal refund. One of these days I'll prally get audited tho, because since they take it all for DA's back support and we don't "get back" anything, I always put "0".
Old 02-18-2008, 06:45 AM

As far as I know, you only have to claim it as income under certain circumstances. For example, if you use a schedule C, then you are also using the current years' state taxes paid as part of your total deduction calculation, so you have to include your state as income in the following year. I've never used a schedule C, so I never list it as income, nor do I include it in my deduction calculation. Hope this helps.

Life is the period between one breath and the next; a person who only half breathes , only half lives
Old 02-18-2008, 07:29 AM

Sounds like it's particular to the state, then. IA stinks.
Old 02-20-2008, 06:09 PM

Wow, I have never heard of such a thing. I know that you don't in Ohio or Texas. It doesn't make any sense either. Why would you have to claim money that was refunded to you when it was money that you OVERPAID in the first place????? Are you guys having your taxes done by a CPA or Accountant? Granted, I have no clue in other states, but that just doesn't sound right to me????
Old 02-20-2008, 06:23 PM

I don't know - I live in Washington, and we don't have State taxes, just Federal.

Last time we got that silly $300 refund, I misunderstood, and did not claim it on our taxes, I did get a note from the IRS requesting me to pay it back.

I am actually upset about this one. I don't want to receive money I'm going to have to pay back!! Keep it!!!!
Old 02-20-2008, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaRKR View Post
Wow, I have never heard of such a thing. I know that you don't in Ohio or Texas. It doesn't make any sense either. Why would you have to claim money that was refunded to you when it was money that you OVERPAID in the first place????? Are you guys having your taxes done by a CPA or Accountant? Granted, I have no clue in other states, but that just doesn't sound right to me????
It asks you right on the IA 1040, the 1040A and EZ if you received a federal refund and the amount! Doesn't matter who does the taxes, the question is still there and the numbers are still added into the calculations.
Old 02-20-2008, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mood4amelody View Post
It asks you right on the IA 1040, the 1040A and EZ if you received a federal refund and the amount! Doesn't matter who does the taxes, the question is still there and the numbers are still added into the calculations.

Thats correct!
Old 02-20-2008, 09:43 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaRKR View Post
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040sab.pdf?portlet=3

Here is a link to a schedule A. Line 5A is for income taxes you paid to the state in the year you are filing. If you use this form and claim this deduction, then you have to claim the income in the following year. And yes, my taxes are done by an accountant-me!!

Life is the period between one breath and the next; a person who only half breathes , only half lives
Old 02-20-2008, 09:47 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbarker View Post
I don't know - I live in Washington, and we don't have State taxes, just Federal.

Last time we got that silly $300 refund, I misunderstood, and did not claim it on our taxes, I did get a note from the IRS requesting me to pay it back.

I am actually upset about this one. I don't want to receive money I'm going to have to pay back!! Keep it!!!!
I believe that one was a prebate-an advance on the rebate when you filed your taxes for that year. This one isn't supposed to be that. However, I posted in another thread an update on how these are really working. It's not just a flat amount if you meet the income requirements. It has a lot to do with what your actual tax liability (how much you owed before credits and income taxes paid in your wages) for 2007 is.

Closed Thread