StartSampling Forums

Go Back   StartSampling Forums > Products and Services > Other Free Stuff

Closed Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 05:50 PM

Send a message via MSN to mood4amelody
Default free nicotine patches and gum (IA only - phone)

http://www.idph.state.ia.us/common/p...ent_123107.asp

They ask for health information and a few other questions about your smoking.

For more information, call 1-800-784-8669 (1-800-QUIT-NOW).

With New Year's resolutions right around the corner, the Iowa Department of Public Health (IDPH) announced that beginning January 1, free nicotine patches and gum will be available through Quitline Iowa, 1-800-QUIT-NOW.

"The availability of free nicotine replacement therapy products will greatly enhance Quitline Iowa's mission to help Iowans stop smoking or using spit tobacco," said IDPH Director, Tom Newton. "This is a significant step in saving lives and reducing the burden of health care costs to our state."

Smoking is the number one cause of preventable death in Iowa. Nicotine patches and gum provide a steady dose of nicotine that helps reduce the withdrawal symptoms that can make it difficult to break one's addiction to tobacco. People who use nicotine replacement therapy in conjunction with telephone counseling are at least two times more likely to be successful than people who don't.

Paid for by the $1.00 tax increase on cigarettes enacted in 2007, two-week's worth of free NRT products are available to any Iowan age 18 or older who calls Quitline Iowa. This benefit is available to callers once per year. Callers requesting patches or gum will be required to complete a brief health survey to make sure he or she does not have health problems that would be negatively impacted by nicotine replacement therapy. Callers will also be required to accept one to three follow-up calls so Quitline Iowa can determine the effectiveness of the program.

IDPH expects a large volume of calls to Quitline Iowa when the nicotine patches and gum become available on January 1. That day, the Quitline will be open from 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.

Quitline Iowa, 1-800-QUIT-NOW, is a toll-free, statewide smoking cessation telephone counseling hotline. Trained counselors provide callers with information about the health consequences of tobacco use, assistance in making an individualized quit plan, and on-going support through optional follow-up calls. The Quitline offers both English and Spanish-speaking counselors, as well as interpretive services for a wide variety of languages.

Old 06-05-2008, 09:24 PM

I don't know if this is still open.
Old 06-05-2008, 09:30 PM

I don't know but I did the one for Fla like that last week (call in)... This is my goal when kids go to camp next week so pls say some prayers so I'm strong enough to quit... ok so i'm finally admitting I'm a smoker & I want to quit.
Old 06-05-2008, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowermom07 View Post
I don't know but I did the one for Fla like that last week (call in)... This is my goal when kids go to camp next week so pls say some prayers so I'm strong enough to quit... ok so i'm finally admitting I'm a smoker & I want to quit.
You have my prayers and support! I know how it is to quit, I did it almost 4 years ago. Stay positive and you can do anything. Hugs!!!
Old 06-05-2008, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpogie View Post
You have my prayers and support! I know how it is to quit, I did it almost 4 years ago. Stay positive and you can do anything. Hugs!!!
Thanks... I "REALLY" need it.. I hate admitting (talking personal) it but hey they say that's the first step lol... Wow ... 4 yrs.. That's awesome!! Congrat's. May I be blessed to say the same especially for my kids and grandchild. You are such an inspiration. xoxox
Old 06-05-2008, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowermom07 View Post
Thanks... I "REALLY" need it.. I hate admitting (talking personal) it but hey they say that's the first step lol... Wow ... 4 yrs.. That's awesome!! Congrat's. May I be blessed to say the same especially for my kids and grandchild. You are such an inspiration. xoxox
Just know that the first week or so is the worst part of it, it does get better. I don't miss it at all. Hugs to you, I know you can do it!
Closed Thread