PDA

View Full Version : Schwan's Home Food Delivery Service

countrypkin65
01-19-2008, 06:29 PM
http://www.schwans.com/

So...I've been in TN for a wee bit over 5 months now, and last night a Shwans guy shows up---1st time, and unannounced. No bother...I didn't make or have any plans for dinner, so this was cool.
We used to get Schwans delivered bi-weekly back in NJ. I ordered my "usual" items. Lemon-pepper chicken is a favorite of mine---really quickens things up during the week! and its quite tasty. Also got the big box of fudge pops-they're usually gone 2-3 days after the driver leaves! Never makes a full 2 weeks.

Anywho....He suggested an ice cream that...I think is new. I never saw it before anyway. OMG. It is soooooo good.

Scwhan's Vanilla n' chocolate Mini. They come in a box of 20, and they are bite size (about 4 bites- women-lol) chocolate (shell)covered vanilla ice cream. WOW....I love these things. I probably could use some samples of clean & clear or biore or morning burst in a few days though.....between last night and today....I have 4 left! Yup----call me a pig, but these things are amazing! :D
Anybody else get Schwans delivered and have any favorites?

vealcalf
01-19-2008, 08:34 PM
Many years ago Schwans used to come once a week to our house. My personal favorites were the Chocolate Mint bars and the Rasberry Cordial bars. I can still remember the taste to this day!

mood4amelody
01-19-2008, 08:43 PM
I like to get the frozen bread dough. Whole family loves that fresh baked and still warm, covered in butter and honey! Yum!!

The little $7 ice cream cake is good. The kids also like the birthday cake flavored ice cream. Usually I just get bread dough though. Schwan's is cost prohibitive for me! $30 = 5 items, when $30 at Aldi is 2 or 3 sacks full.

Oh, once in a while I like to get their French Toast sticks! They are awesome. None of the store bought brands compares.

bvanpeltsw
01-19-2008, 10:33 PM
Ohhh I love Schwan's! I have not ordered from them in forever.

I love their ice cream, mini pizzas, and chicken patties. YUM!

mom2fussbudgets
01-19-2008, 10:56 PM
I love Schwan's, but they are too pricey for us right now. :(

countrypkin65
01-20-2008, 01:37 AM
I love Schwan's, but they are too pricey for us right now. :(

yeah....they really are abit pricey-I think we usually buy the most when he catches us at a hunger pang moment, when we are undecided on what to do about dinner!! Otherwise, we usually just buy 1 or 2 things usually the pudding pops & lemon chicken!

Lynn, I never had their frozen dough....that sounds really good!
& bvanpeltsw-- I love their mini pizzas---but I always scald my tongue on them lol.:eek:

laf76
01-20-2008, 02:03 AM
I love schwans too. I order about once a month from them. Their burgers are not bad and I LOVE their corn nuggets. They can be a bit pricey but it is nice to sit down and look at the catalog and order something to have it delivered right to the house!

craftiness
01-22-2008, 05:19 PM
my mom used to work there for a long time 23years.. love their food especially their pizza.. she would get a discount for the family... now she retired... awww... i miss the good old days...

mom2fussbudgets
01-22-2008, 05:30 PM
yeah....they really are abit pricey-I think we usually buy the most when he catches us at a hunger pang moment, when we are undecided on what to do about dinner!! Otherwise, we usually just buy 1 or 2 things usually the pudding pops & lemon chicken!

Lynn, I never had their frozen dough....that sounds really good!
& bvanpeltsw-- I love their mini pizzas---but I always scald my tongue on them lol.:eek:

Their food is good, and if you don't mind paying the prices, you should enjoy it! My hubby graduates from college in December. After he graduates, I'll probably be ordering a catalog!

Besides the prices, the only other thing I dislike about them is that they come every week, and I really don't want to buy something every single week. I wish I could just call them when I wanted something, but it doesn't work like that.

Sidenote: Last Schwan's guy we had was smokin' hot! I always felt really awkward and shy when he paid us a visit, LOL!

mood4amelody
01-22-2008, 05:33 PM
Their food is good, and if you don't mind paying the prices, you should enjoy it! My hubby graduates from college in December. After he graduates, I'll probably be ordering a catalog!

Besides the prices, the only other thing I dislike about them is that they come every week, and I really don't want to buy something every single week. I wish I could just call them when I wanted something, but it doesn't work like that.

Sidenote: Last Schwan's guy we had was smokin' hot! I always felt really awkward and shy when he paid us a visit, LOL!

Is it different there? Ours comes every 2 weeks. I told him once a month would work better and he said okay. He's not come back since! :confused: lol

mom2fussbudgets
01-22-2008, 05:42 PM
Maybe not, Lynne! It's been awhile since I've ordered from them. Maybe they do let you pick the schedule. Sorry your guy never came back!

mood4amelody
01-22-2008, 05:43 PM
Maybe not, Lynne! It's been awhile since I've ordered from them. Maybe they do let you pick the schedule. Sorry your guy never came back!

I'm not!!! My pocketbook is getting fat without the "Schwan's diet" it was on! lol

MandMnmbr3
01-22-2008, 07:26 PM
I love Schwan's. We haven't had a truck in our neighborhood for YEARS!! I LOVE their chocolate mint drumsticks!!! Also love their breaded okra and chicken cordon bleu!

You can go to their site to see if they have service in your area. Schwan's (http://www.schwans.com/default.aspx)

laf76
01-22-2008, 08:07 PM
I get tickled when their catalog comes in the mail. I love to look at it! Just the other day, I saw a Schwans truck set up like in walmart parking lot. They were having some kind of sale.

bvanpeltsw
01-22-2008, 08:26 PM
LMAO I stalk the Schwan's lady when I see her driving around!:eek:

chardona
01-23-2008, 10:53 AM
I have been in love with Schwan's since forever. Everthing that I love is sooo expensive though. I love the hand breaded shrimp which costs about $30 and you get 3 trays with 11 shrimp on it. That's nearly $1 per shrimp! :eek: But they are d@mn good and big. I have also tried the mini vanilla icecream in the chocolate shell...yummm!

shopsforsix
01-23-2008, 11:26 AM
You can also order from Scwan's online. Just let the driver know that if you need anything you'll order online. That way, they aren't stopping every time they're in the neighborhood. You can also get special deals via emails that you might not be offered by the driver! It's one way to still order from them, but not spend as much!

Jenni232323
01-23-2008, 11:39 AM
I've never tried Schwan's but remember seeing the truck around town. You guys are making me hungry! I just signed up for a catalog - looks like I'll already have to try the ice cream!

kuanyin1
01-23-2008, 03:59 PM
I love schwan's...I love the buffalo style boneless wingz, and the lasagna with meat sauce it comes with 4 - 16 oz. trays with it just being me I can get at least 2-3 meals out of each tray if I add a salad and/or garlic bread. And the pork pot stickers are great too. The best thing about schaw's is that they take food stamps for payment :)

bvanpeltsw
01-23-2008, 04:23 PM
I love schwan's...I love the buffalo style boneless wingz, and the lasagna with meat sauce it comes with 4 - 16 oz. trays with it just being me I can get at least 2-3 meals out of each tray if I add a salad and/or garlic bread. And the pork pot stickers are great too. The best thing about schaw's is that they take food stamps for payment :)

WHAT????? You can use food stamps for Schwan's food. I think that is overboard.

ilove2sample
01-23-2008, 04:23 PM
I love Schwan's and I used to order from them. I saw the truck at my neighbor's house the other day and forced myself to stay inside... I'll have to ask for a catalog the next time I see him in the neighborhood. They are expensive, but their items are good!!!

laf76
01-23-2008, 06:14 PM

Just cause someone is low income and qualifies for food stamps and orders from here does not mean they are going overboard. If we ever were in the same boat, we may want some too!

kuanyin1
01-23-2008, 06:24 PM

how is it any different from me going the Save-a-lot and buying steaks with my link card? Just because I'm below the poverty line does that mean all I'm allowed to eat is hamburger?

mood4amelody
01-23-2008, 07:19 PM
I'd have to say that Schwan's is a luxury item. In the event that you can't get to the store because of no transportation and being in a remote location, then they are pricey but really handy. I don't think you should use food stamps for Schwan unless you really need to or if it's a special occasion.

I think the basic idea behind the food stamp program is that in a country with as much prosperity as this one has, no person should go hungry. Well, maybe you have to really go hungry before you appreciate the value of a food stamp. I've been there. Ate nothing but crappy cream of wheat for 3 months because I spent the last of my money on baby food. I loved food stamps! OMGosh, they saved my life.

I think that using food stamps on Schwans without having to because of necessity is a LITTLE BIT like when you see someone at the gas station buying 5 bottles of pop and a batch of chips and candy bars with a food stamp card - gas station prices!! OMGosh!! Buying cake mix and kool-aid at a grocery store makes more sense to me because being on food stamps is like being down and out and having to go and stay with a distant relative you don't really know. You are there because of their kindness, and that shouldn't be abused. You don't eat up all their snacks, you don't run all the gas out of the car they let you borrow, and you are thankful that they are kind enough to help you out when you need it.

mom2fussbudgets
01-23-2008, 07:27 PM
I agree with Lynne. Right now, we qualify for food stamps, but I don't get 'em cause I'm too proud. It really irks me when I go to Walmart with all my coupons, buy generic, we don't have meat for that week cause none of it was on clearance, and I see the person in front of me with steaks, soda pop, cookies, all these luxury items that I don't get cause they cost too much--and I see them they pay for it with their food stamp card. :(

bvanpeltsw
01-23-2008, 09:13 PM
I'd have to say that Schwan's is a luxury item. In the event that you can't get to the store because of no transportation and being in a remote location, then they are pricey but really handy. I don't think you should use food stamps for Schwan unless you really need to or if it's a special occasion.

I think the basic idea behind the food stamp program is that in a country with as much prosperity as this one has, no person should go hungry. Well, maybe you have to really go hungry before you appreciate the value of a food stamp. I've been there. Ate nothing but crappy cream of wheat for 3 months because I spent the last of my money on baby food. I loved food stamps! OMGosh, they saved my life.

I think that using food stamps on Schwans without having to because of necessity is a LITTLE BIT like when you see someone at the gas station buying 5 bottles of pop and a batch of chips and candy bars with a food stamp card - gas station prices!! OMGosh!! Buying cake mix and kool-aid at a grocery store makes more sense to me because being on food stamps is like being down and out and having to go and stay with a distant relative you don't really know. You are there because of their kindness, and that shouldn't be abused. You don't eat up all their snacks, you don't run all the gas out of the car they let you borrow, and you are thankful that they are kind enough to help you out when you need it.

WELL SAID!!!!! And exactly my point.

bvanpeltsw
01-23-2008, 09:17 PM
how is it any different from me going the Save-a-lot and buying steaks with my link card? Just because I'm below the poverty line does that mean all I'm allowed to eat is hamburger?

As Lynn stated below Schwan's is a luxury. As a social worker and someone who works with low income families, I am quite angry that the govn't actually allows this to happen. I have at LEAST 5 families a week that buy generic because that is all they can afford and some people are going out to buy Schwan's with their food stamps?? Makes sense.

The food stamps program is completely out of hand.

bvanpeltsw
01-23-2008, 09:19 PM
Just cause someone is low income and qualifies for food stamps and orders from here does not mean they are going overboard. If we ever were in the same boat, we may want some too!

I have been in the same boat. Actually this time last year and I used my food stamps to buy cheap food that would feed my family. I can get so much more food at the grocery store than the 2 things I can get from Schwan's.

laf76
01-23-2008, 11:11 PM
All I can say is that obviously the government deems it ok or they would not allow Schwans to accept food stamps. You should not make someone feel bad just because they splurged on something. I am not trying to make anyone mad up here. I just felt it wrong to tell the poster that it was "overboard".

bvanpeltsw
01-23-2008, 11:38 PM
All I can say is that obviously the government deems it ok or they would not allow Schwans to accept food stamps. You should not make someone feel bad just because they splurged on something. I am not trying to make anyone mad up here. I just felt it wrong to tell the poster that it was "overboard".

I never said YOU ARE GOING OVERBOARD BY BUYING SCHWANS! You are reading into it way too much.

That is what I said. I had no idea the government would even allow it.

And in my house buying Schwan's is a luxury. I think to most people it is.

mood4amelody
01-23-2008, 11:51 PM

You are right that everyone needs to splurge once in a while, and I'm sure that's not what Dawn meant at all. She said that the idea of using foodstamps for Schwans was overboard, not that the poster was overboard. (I thought that the poster was very economical about the way she divided and stored the purchased to make several meals out of one!!!) And, I definitely know that she didn't mean to make anyone feel bad. It's just shocking to see something meant to assist a person in need be used extravagantly. It would be like if they sent folks in on jet skis to help rescue hurricane Katrina victims, and they decided to have jet ski races instead, you know?
I've seen a lot of people who receive food stamps wonder why they keep running out before the end of the month. My step-daughter is like that and I've seen her buy all kinds of crap with her card. :( So how is my grandbaby, and how are all the children in the families like that eating at the end of the month??
When I was getting them, I was extremely careful about what I spent and usually had a bit left over. I did a lot of baking and stuff, too. And, yes, once in a while I splurged - a little. lol We almost never had soda pop and candy. And, really, that was no big loss in a lot of ways.
I'd like to mention the part about the government deeming it okay, but I think if I do, it might come out wrong, so I'm gonna leave that part alone, okay? :)

So, in short - Yes! Everyone should be able to splurge once in a while for a treat! No! No one should spend money on crap or extravagant things if they won't be able to make it later. No! There's nothing wrong with getting assistance when it's needed. Yes! It's wrong to waste.

laf76
01-23-2008, 11:52 PM
I apologize if that is what you meant but it is not what you typed to begin with. Kisses and Hugs! Don't throw me off your coupon train! LOL

bvanpeltsw
01-24-2008, 12:03 AM
You are right that everyone needs to splurge once in a while, and I'm sure that's not what Dawn meant at all. She said that the idea of using foodstamps for Schwans was overboard, not that the poster was overboard. (I thought that the poster was very economical about the way she divided and stored the purchased to make several meals out of one!!!) And, I definitely know that she didn't mean to make anyone feel bad. It's just shocking to see something meant to assist a person in need be used extravagantly. It would be like if they sent folks in on jet skis to help rescue hurricane Katrina victims, and they decided to have jet ski races instead, you know?
I've seen a lot of people who receive food stamps wonder why they keep running out before the end of the month. My step-daughter is like that and I've seen her buy all kinds of crap with her card. :( So how is my grandbaby, and how are all the children in the families like that eating at the end of the month??
When I was getting them, I was extremely careful about what I spent and usually had a bit left over. I did a lot of baking and stuff, too. And, yes, once in a while I splurged - a little. lol We almost never had soda pop and candy. And, really, that was no big loss in a lot of ways.
I'd like to mention the part about the government deeming it okay, but I think if I do, it might come out wrong, so I'm gonna leave that part alone, okay? :)

So, in short - Yes! Everyone should be able to splurge once in a while for a treat! No! No one should spend money on crap or extravagant things if they won't be able to make it later. No! There's nothing wrong with getting assistance when it's needed. Yes! It's wrong to waste.

LMAO I said that dear not Dawn!;)

bvanpeltsw
01-24-2008, 12:04 AM
I apologize if that is what you meant but it is not what you typed to begin with. Kisses and Hugs! Don't throw me off your coupon train! LOL

LOL no need to apologize at all. Everyone will take things that are said differently. I think I clarified my statement well enough.

I am NOT going to throw you off my train. I am not petty like that. It is good to have stimulating conversation.:)

mood4amelody
01-24-2008, 12:07 AM
LMAO I said that dear not Dawn!;)

Crap! I'm sorry Brandy!! :o LOL I'm a spaz tonight. Still, applies for you, too, Sis.

bvanpeltsw
01-24-2008, 12:09 AM
Crap! I'm sorry Brandy!! :o LOL I'm a spaz tonight. Still, applies for you, too, Sis.

I am the spaz tonight. I cannot even make my point without thinking WTF did I just type....it is bedtime!:p

You are right about what you said in regards to what I was trying to explain. LMAO did that even make sense?:eek:

mood4amelody
01-24-2008, 12:11 AM
Iam the spaz tonight. I cannot even make my point without thinking WTF did I just type....it is bedtime!:p

You are right about what you said in regards to what I was trying to explain. LMAO did that even make sense?:eek:

Your words are still making sense to the rest of the world whether your brain believes it or not!! lol

mom2fussbudgets
01-24-2008, 09:11 AM
I think we all had a reasonable and intelligent conversation here. I'm proud of ya'll. :)

No one gets kicked off coupon trains unless they make the train derail!

laf76
01-24-2008, 01:20 PM
You guys are really pretty funny around here. lol I guess that is why I like this site better than others!!!

bvanpeltsw
01-24-2008, 01:21 PM
You guys are really pretty funny around here. lol I guess that is why I like this site better than others!!!

We try to keep it entertaining!;)

mood4amelody
01-24-2008, 01:28 PM

Yeah, they should've just called this forum "Start Laughing.... oh, yeah & Sampling, too". :D

chardona
01-24-2008, 03:50 PM
I agree with Lynne. Right now, we qualify for food stamps, but I don't get 'em cause I'm too proud. It really irks me when I go to Walmart with all my coupons, buy generic, we don't have meat for that week cause none of it was on clearance, and I see the person in front of me with steaks, soda pop, cookies, all these luxury items that I don't get cause they cost too much--and I see them they pay for it with their food stamp card. :(

When I was going to college full time and working less than twenty hours a week a few years ago, I was on food stamps and I don't think that anyone should be "too proud" to use them. I thanked God that I was able to get them when I needed them and I thank God that I don't need them now. But believe me, I would get on them again if I needed to.

mom2fussbudgets
01-24-2008, 05:33 PM
When I was going to college full time and working less than twenty hours a week a few years ago, I was on food stamps and I don't think that anyone should be "too proud" to use them. I thanked God that I was able to get them when I needed them and I thank God that I don't need them now. But believe me, I would get on them again if I needed to.

Thanks! :)

I hope it didn't sound like I was judging people who do go on them. That is not the case at all!

Let me rephrase it a bit. We do qualify for food stamps right now. However, we've been blessed with family who helps out regularly. Even though we are not living high on the hog, we are not at the point where Lynne was where we only eat Cream of Wheat every night. If it got to the point where we absolutely had to have them or my kids would starve, then yes, I would go on them. That's not the case though, and so I don't feel compelled to go on them. We've been blessed, so I pretty much feel like I should leave them for someone who really needs them. That's actually what I should have said, instead of "I'm too proud." :)

kuanyin1
01-24-2008, 05:35 PM
Papa Murphy's take and bake pizzas are food stampable, is order out pizza a luxury.

mom2fussbudgets
01-24-2008, 05:40 PM
I would say yes! I guess the government feels like people should be able to have a treat every once in awhile. Problem is, sometimes people spend what they have foolishly. I am really surprised that people are allowed to spend their food stamp dollars this way. Shocked actually.

mood4amelody
01-24-2008, 05:58 PM
Papa Murphy's take and bake pizzas are food stampable, is order out pizza a luxury.

I'd say it depends on how much they cost. If they are comparable to what you can buy frozen or pizza kits for, then no, they aren't a luxury. If they are like $8 or $9 or more, then they are kinda pricey for everyday groceries. But, honey, you just get your food and don't worry about what anyone says about it. Take what advice or whatever you want out of it, but don't be hurt by anything here. Most of us are either trying to understand or trying to help, and sometimes people get mixed up about the "meaning" of something. It shoudn't be a huge deal.

You know what I notice about food in general? If you want a healthy balanced diet it's really going to cost you! When you're poor you have to buy what you can afford, which is the crap stuff! lol Generic peanut butter has practically none of the nutrients in name brand. You have to buy canned fruit and vegetables because fresh are off the charts! I wish I knew what to do about the whole situation. :(

mom2fussbudgets
01-24-2008, 06:01 PM
Lynne is right, as usual! :)

mood4amelody
01-24-2008, 06:18 PM
Lynne is right, as usual! :)

You get over here right now and tell that to my DA!!!! :p

kuanyin1
01-24-2008, 06:32 PM
I see a lot of food stamp abuse here too; the kids that sell theirs to buy booze and drugs and my neighbor gets $700 in food stamps a month for her, hubby, and the 5 kids and the school age kids eat 2 free meals a day at school; and she does $200 a month with schwan's saying that the kids won't eat the cheap nuggets and stuff from the store so why buy it.

I save where I can so I can treat myself occassionally. I do schwan's about every other month, the lasagna comes with 4 16oz trays for $15 I break each tray down to 4 servings with a salad and garlic bread (16 meals for $15 isn't too shaby).

Food prices are out of whack, and that why I do most of my shopping at aldi's and save-a-lot instead of other stores; our super-walmart just openned and I noticed that on some things they are more than cub foods you just have to know your prices. What I really want to do is start gardening and hitting the farmer markets this summer but I've been saying that for the last few years maybe I'll motivate this year.

mom2fussbudgets
01-24-2008, 07:21 PM
Sounds like you are doing a good job! You are right in saying that you have to know your prices. You know what? I don't think $15 for that lasagna sounds bad!

This past summer, I decided to hit the farmer's markets as well, but I found them to be rather pricey. Anyone else? The best place I found to buy locally grown stuff was at this little roadside stand owned by a farmer near my mom's house.

countrypkin65
01-24-2008, 09:15 PM
Hey, for anyone who wants to order online from Schwans, they have a limited time offer, that when you spend $50 or more, enter the promo code FR & you'll get a special offer. Right now its either a free Special Recipe Pizza, OR a pint of Ice Cream.

Just thought I'd share!:D

countrypkin65
01-24-2008, 09:19 PM
This past summer, I decided to hit the farmer's markets as well, but I found them to be rather pricey. Anyone else? The best place I found to buy locally grown stuff was at this little roadside stand owned by a farmer near my mom's house.

I keep hearing about the Menonites around here. So far I haven't come across any stands, but I'm sure this coming spring they will be out in full force---I hope. I want some good produce!
I moved here from NJ thinking it was going to be "cheaper" but the more I shop---the more p.o'd I get, seeing the prices on average 55-95 cents or more higher for EVERYTHING. And now, even Walmarts prices are going through the roof.

chardona
01-25-2008, 11:51 AM
Thanks! :)

I hope it didn't sound like I was judging people who do go on them. That is not the case at all!

Let me rephrase it a bit. We do qualify for food stamps right now. However, we've been blessed with family who helps out regularly. Even though we are not living high on the hog, we are not at the point where Lynne was where we only eat Cream of Wheat every night. If it got to the point where we absolutely had to have them or my kids would starve, then yes, I would go on them. That's not the case though, and so I don't feel compelled to go on them. We've been blessed, so I pretty much feel like I should leave them for someone who really needs them. That's actually what I should have said, instead of "I'm too proud." :)

No, you didn't sound as if you were judging people. Some people just feel that way or even embarassed. I just hate to see someone using food stamps and then see them go outside to a brand new vehicle or even a pricey one. :rolleyes:

mood4amelody
01-25-2008, 04:07 PM
No, you didn't sound as if you were judging people. Some people just feel that way or even embarassed. I just hate to see someone using food stamps and then see them go outside to a brand new vehicle or even a pricey one. :rolleyes:

Well, you never know who might have fallen on hard times, nice car or not, but I see your point. How 'bout when you drive past the welfare office and the parking lot is full of Cadillac's and other really nice cars?? :rolleyes:

danajc83
01-25-2008, 04:18 PM
I have always wanted to order from here, just never knew what to get. But i have heard the mashed potatoes are really good and i will have to try the french toast sticks.

mom2fussbudgets
01-25-2008, 04:38 PM
I have always wanted to order from here, just never knew what to get. But i have heard the mashed potatoes are really good and i will have to try the french toast sticks.

Welcome!

You can go online and have a look-see before you call them out to your house. :)

mom2fussbudgets
01-25-2008, 04:40 PM

Thanks, hon!

I know what you mean. Unfortunately, a lot of people get in over their heads with vehicles. My mom is the world's worst at doing that! Her eyes are bigger than her pocketbook, LOL!

danajc83
01-25-2008, 05:13 PM
Thanks! I will do that!

Jess0587
01-25-2008, 05:16 PM
how do you post stuff on here and where are you all finding these links to post for the free samples??

mood4amelody
01-25-2008, 05:33 PM
how do you post stuff on here and where are you all finding these links to post for the free samples??

To post, figure out if it's a free sample or an "other freebie. Go to Forums, and find which one it is and click on that. Then click on New post.

To find freebies, you can do google or other internet searches, you can find freebies at other sites and post them here, you can hear about one on TV or in a magazine, etc.

Jess0587
01-25-2008, 05:47 PM
Alright, got it! Thank you very much!

utkd29
01-25-2008, 05:51 PM
To post, figure out if it's a free sample or an "other freebie. Go to Forums, and find which one it is and click on that. Then click on New post.

To find freebies, you can do google or other internet searches, you can find freebies at other sites and post them here, you can hear about one on TV or in a magazine, etc.

Lynne, thats my sister! I talked her into signing up on here today! Now there is double the trouble!!

Jess0587
01-25-2008, 05:54 PM
hahahaaaa!!!!!! :D :eek: :p

mood4amelody
01-25-2008, 08:09 PM
Lynne, thats my sister! I talked her into signing up on here today! Now there is double the trouble!!

Well good job trapping her here! Now she won't give you any problems since she'll be so busy here!! :D

Nice to meet you, Jess! Which one is big sis and which one is little sis, you guys??

Jess0587
01-25-2008, 08:24 PM
Well good job trapping her here! Now she won't give you any problems since she'll be so busy here!! :D

Nice to meet you, Jess! Which one is big sis and which one is little sis, you guys??

I am little sis and DeAnna is big sis! Nice to meet you too!!

chardona
01-25-2008, 08:51 PM
Well, you never know who might have fallen on hard times, nice car or not, but I see your point. How 'bout when you drive past the welfare office and the parking lot is full of Cadillac's and other really nice cars?? :rolleyes:

You know, there was time that anyone with a newer car could not get stamps, but Prez. Clinton made it so that anyone no matter what vehicle can apply. I remember that. But I have a 2002 Grand Prix soooo, that doesn't apply to me. I have see a DHS parking lot full of nice cars myself. I live right across the street from the office. But people lie anyway to get what they want.

chardona
01-25-2008, 08:54 PM
Thanks, hon!

I know what you mean. Unfortunately, a lot of people get in over their heads with vehicles. My mom is the world's worst at doing that! Her eyes are bigger than her pocketbook, LOL!

Yeah, I have a couple of siblings like that. I am kinda fugile myself. I can hold onto money like nobody's business. Talk about tight with money.

mood4amelody
01-25-2008, 09:11 PM
You know, there was time that anyone with a newer car could not get stamps, but Prez. Clinton made it so that anyone no matter what vehicle can apply. I remember that. But I have a 2002 Grand Prix soooo, that doesn't apply to me. I have see a DHS parking lot full of nice cars myself. I live right across the street from the office. But people lie anyway to get what they want.

Before Clinton, you could get them and you had a really nice car IF you were still making payments on the car. If you owned it outright, you were ineligible because you were able (in theory!) to sell your car and buy your own groceries (if you could then get to the store). I don't know if that's changed or not. Clinton was the president that made the 5 year limit to monetary assistance. I think that really just throws a larger burden on Social Security, myself.

chardona
01-25-2008, 09:50 PM
Before Clinton, you could get them and you had a really nice car IF you were still making payments on the car. If you owned it outright, you were ineligible because you were able (in theory!) to sell your car and buy your own groceries (if you could then get to the store). I don't know if that's changed or not. Clinton was the president that made the 5 year limit to monetary assistance. I think that really just throws a larger burden on Social Security, myself.

Well, maybe I'm wrong, but I was sure that a new car meant no stamps back then. My bad. Democrats believe in assisting the low income and the poorer citizens. Republicans believe in helping themselves or the richer via tax cuts. The current war, not that I'm against it or even for it, has put a sizable dent in our tax/government dollars also. Don't want to turn this into a political debate and all but, I agree that 5 years is a loooong time to be on public assistance.

dali_
01-25-2008, 11:22 PM

I figure if the govt. decides you qualify for X amount of $, and you didn't cheat to get it, then budget it however you see fit... not like they take back what you don't use! And that $ should be counting as income for the stores/companies you use it at, which means they're paying more employees, so at least someone is working ;)

(Edit: Started thinking maybe how I ended that could be taken the wrong way, and we don't want anymore of that around here :p ... So, I mean more like "at least someone gets to work" because until I got the opportunity to go to school, I was looking for work for a loooooong time with no luck... same with my brother... things are bad in this area :( )

kuanyin1
01-26-2008, 12:41 AM
The reason I get food stamps is that even though I work full time my pay just isn't enough to get by; I only made $4500 total for last year.

I was talking to the owner of the local papa murphy's here and he said the reason you can use food stamps there is that you pick up your pizzas and take them home and bake them yourself just like the fozens at the store; I think the Walmart deli has take and bakes too.

I havn't actually owned a car since 2003. I use public transportation and my landlord (he lives in the same building) runs me around too. I miss driving myself and the convenience of just going when I want to but then I think of what I'm NOT paying in gas, maintenance and issurance and its not so bad.

mood4amelody
01-26-2008, 11:33 AM
I figure if the govt. decides you qualify for X amount of $, and you didn't cheat to get it, then budget it however you see fit... not like they take back what you don't use! And that $ should be counting as income for the stores/companies you use it at, which means they're paying more employees, so at least someone is working ;)

(Edit: Started thinking maybe how I ended that could be taken the wrong way, and we don't want anymore of that around here :p ... So, I mean more like "at least someone gets to work" because until I got the opportunity to go to school, I was looking for work for a loooooong time with no luck... same with my brother... things are bad in this area :( )

I see what you mean, I think, but alcoholics and drug addicts and a lot of other people with no addictions whatsoever don't budget the way most folks do, and so everyone's money (tax $s) can get spent in a lot of ways that only the spender would approve of, and if everyone knew they'd be upset about. I think that using it in a way it's not meant to use is more cheating that not saying you got $40 from a friend to help pay your light bill so that you haven't had "too much income to qualify".

Here's a for instance. I just gave my son money for his cell phone bill. If he'd used that to go to the movies and take his girlfriend out, he'd lose his phone and make me mad! lol But, if he re-routed it to keep his car running to stay in college, that would have me worried about the phone, but not mad at him because he had to re-organize his priorities.

dali_
01-26-2008, 12:36 PM
I see what you mean, I think, but alcoholics and drug addicts and a lot of other people with no addictions whatsoever don't budget the way most folks do, and so everyone's money (tax $s) can get spent in a lot of ways that only the spender would approve of, and if everyone knew they'd be upset about.

Yea, but *everyone* has different priorities from everyone else, and no one is going to make everyone else happy, no one would want their lives to be the one put under a microscope... live and let live... and other such cliche things ;) I don't think there is really a "way most folks do" with budgeting or anything else.

mood4amelody
01-26-2008, 12:39 PM
Yea, but *everyone* has different priorities from everyone else, and no one is going to make everyone else happy, no one would want their lives to be the one put under a microscope... live and let live... and other such cliche things ;) I don't think there is really a "way most folks do" with budgeting or anything else.

What I mean is that "most" people feed their kids first, take care of bills, etc. When dealing with an addiction, the addiction gets fed before the kids. If you "live and let live" in that situation, children suffer. Sometimes, I think the microscope is in order.

Motherofthree
01-26-2008, 01:53 PM
When I was living in a homeless shelter in Minneapolis (long story) Schwans would come to the shelter once a week and take orders from the people there..ofcourse all of the people at the shelter used their food stamps..I personally never ordered from them when I was living there and I still to this day have never been able to order food from them. I heard they are very expensive, but good. I promised myself one day when I finish school and have a good job I will try their food!!:) I have heard that they deliver the food to your house..do you have to pay extra for that??:confused:

bvanpeltsw
01-26-2008, 01:58 PM
When I was living in a homeless shelter in Minneapolis (long story) Schwans would come to the shelter once a week and take orders from the people there..ofcourse all of the people at the shelter used their food stamps..I personally never ordered from them when I was living there and I still to this day have never been able to order food from them. I heard they are very expensive, but good. I promised myself one day when I finish school and have a good job I will try their food!!:) I have heard that they deliver the food to your house..do you have to pay extra for that??:confused:

Last time I checked there was a $1.00 surcharge to cover gas prices. It is really not bad at all.

Motherofthree
01-26-2008, 02:05 PM
Last time I checked there was a $1.00 surcharge to cover gas prices. It is really not bad at all.

Thats not bad..Thanks Brandy!!

kuanyin1
01-26-2008, 03:18 PM
Yea, but *everyone* has different priorities from everyone else, and no one is going to make everyone else happy, no one would want their lives to be the one put under a microscope

I agree with this a lot. I am a recovering addict/alcoholic with 11 years clean, and it did take a lot of work to re-train my thinking and regain human life skills. But even so, I'm not going to be able to please everyone all of the time so I have to evaluate my priorities on a daily basis...I try to please God, myself, the cats and the bosses at work; anyone else who gets pleased that day is a bonus. I have also learnt that I do not have the right to be right for anyone else but myself. I am politically active and actively campaign for the candidates of my choice but can I force people to think my way or do things my way no thats up to God's Will because I have to remember who is really in charge here.

I heard they are very expensive, but good

Mom and the home economics teacher always said to look at the per servings cost and not just the shelf price to see if its a good deal or not.

Example: Schwans popcorn chicken is $14.69 for a 2 lb bag...its large chunks of chicken the bag says that 8 pieces is a serving with about 11 servings per bag...$14.69/11 = $1.33 with french fries $4.99 for a 2.5lb bag with about 13 3 oz servings...$4.99/13 = $0.38 total per serving for meal $1.71...you have to use your own judgement/standards to evaluate if thats pricey or doable. For me, not having a car and living in Northen Illinois where we just got done with close to zero/sub zero temps...I will gladly pay someone $1 to bring me some food.

bvanpeltsw
01-26-2008, 03:41 PM
I agree with this a lot. I am a recovering addict/alcoholic with 11 years clean, and it did take a lot of work to re-train my thinking and regain human life skills. But even so, I'm not going to be able to please everyone all of the time so I have to evaluate my priorities on a daily basis...I try to please God, myself, the cats and the bosses at work; anyone else who gets pleased that day is a bonus. I have also learnt that I do not have the right to be right for anyone else but myself. I am politically active and actively campaign for the candidates of my choice but can I force people to think my way or do things my way no thats up to God's Will because I have to remember who is really in charge here.

Mom and the home economics teacher always said to look at the per servings cost and not just the shelf price to see if its a good deal or not.

Example: Schwans popcorn chicken is $14.69 for a 2 lb bag...its large chunks of chicken the bag says that 8 pieces is a serving with about 11 servings per bag...$14.69/11 = $1.33 with french fries $4.99 for a 2.5lb bag with about 13 3 oz servings...$4.99/13 = $0.38 total per serving for meal $1.71...you have to use your own judgement/standards to evaluate if thats pricey or doable. For me, not having a car and living in Northen Illinois where we just got done with close to zero/sub zero temps...I will gladly pay someone $1 to bring me some food.

LOL I like the way you broke that down! Now I know why I am not a math major.:)

dali_
01-26-2008, 03:41 PM
I am a recovering addict/alcoholic with 11 years clean

[...]

total per serving for meal $1.71...you have to use your own .

Congrats :D

And breaking down per serving those items sound like a great deal, I wish we had a big enough freezer to buy more bulk frozen stuff.

mom2fussbudgets
01-26-2008, 04:28 PM

I am liking you more and more...:D

kuanyin1
01-26-2008, 04:54 PM
I am liking you more and more...:D

gee, thanks...backatcha

mood4amelody
01-26-2008, 05:22 PM

In my case I had generally been feeding dinner to 6 people (son just went to college this past Fall and I'm still adjusting to the lesser amt). The one pack of popcorn chicken from Schwan's would make just 1 meal in this house! :eek: At Aldi I can get a bag of frozen boneless, skinless chicken breasts (I think it's a 5lb bag) use 5 or 6 of those (size varies a bit) cut them up, Shake and Bake and have popcorn chicken at a fraction of the schwan cost. Also, I will have enough chicken left to make a crock pot full of chicken and noodles, some chicken salad, or whatever. Since it's just you, though, your way of dividing up your meals works very well. If you used my way, you'd probably be overflowing your freezer and handing out leftovers left and right! :)

kuanyin1
01-26-2008, 07:26 PM
If you used my way, you'd probably be overflowing your freezer and handing out leftovers left and right! :)

Leftovers are great.:D

mom2fussbudgets
01-26-2008, 08:57 PM
I like leftovers too!

mood4amelody
01-27-2008, 09:05 AM
Leftovers are great.:D

Especially chili and meatloaf!!!

mood4amelody
01-27-2008, 09:06 AM
I forgot to put that the bag of chicken from Aldi only costs about $5!! :D

CSMRob
01-27-2008, 04:30 PM
Hey all. :)

I work for Schwan's as a Customer Service Manager (Schwan's Man) and I have been doing it for just under a year. I am pleased to see that many people are happy with the company.

I am here to answer questions if you have any. I'll just post some thoughts first, though.

-- Schwan's products are a bit more pricey, but not as much as most people think. At meetings, we have done price comparisons and I was surprised to see that Schwan's is not as overpriced as a lot of people think. For example, the ice cream novelties (the cones, ice cream sandwiches, ice cream bars) are very reasonably priced. In many of them, you get 24 per box, and most of them average out to 54 cents for one cone or sandwich (some are lower).

-- The meats are very, very high quality. That is really what you pay for. Schwan's has a good reputation of putting out high quality food. They are very picky with their ingredients and are constantly looking for ways to improve them. I am not just saying this because I sell this stuff. It is tough to find the quality of Schwan's at a WinCo or other cost efficient grocery store.

-- Schwan's has a 100 percent satisfaction guarantee. Since I have been working for them, I have taken back a total of three or four items that people did not like. That is pretty impressive. If you don't like something, simply tell your CSM and he/she will gladly give you a full refund or credit your next order. Your choice.

-- The vegetables are some of the best selling items in the book. They are of very high quality.

-- As is the fish... I have never heard a complaint about our fish.

-- Schwan's is working hard to add healthier items to the catalog. There are a lot more LiveSmart products now, and I foresee more in the future. They just came out with a new sugar-free vanilla ice cream that is surprisingly good.

-- Being a Schwan's Man is tough. It really is. No, the work in itself is not hard; it is one of the easiest jobs that I have ever had. I have met some awesome people, and as a Christian, I LOVE the times when I get to fellowship with some of my customers.

Why is it tough? The hours. I start my day at 8:15 AM and don't get home until about 9 PM or sometimes later. Being a newlywed and young, this is very hard on me. My wife is doing okay with it, but I miss her so much during the day. So, it can be very disheartening when customers are rude. Worse is when you know they're home, but they won't answer the door. The bottom line is that most Schwan's drivers don't come to your house unless you as the customer have requested them to be there. I get most of my new customers through people seeing me on a street and asking me for a catalog. There is no contract; you buy when you want. I am very easygoing and I am not a salesman. If someone does not want anything, I do not make them feel guilty. I HATE when people buy out of guilt -- so please, do not do that. But not answering the door is disrespectful -- if nothing else, just say hello and I will be on my way. :) Usually, if I see someone not answering the door when I know they are there, I will remove them from the route. I guess this is just a matter of me having self-respect.

We only make what we sell -- there is no base salary. 11 percent, straight commission. This can be very good, and it can be very bad -- depending on the route.

All in all, Schwan's is a good service. It is not perfect, nor will your driver do the perfect things. Some drivers give everyone a bad name. Some can be way too pushy and that is not the way it is supposed to be done.

Remember -- you are paying for a service that comes directly to your door, that offers you high quality products. It is definitely not for everyone.

Have a great day!

bvanpeltsw
01-27-2008, 04:36 PM
Hey all.

I work for Schwan's as a Customer Service Manager (Schwan's Man) and I have been doing it for just under a year. I am pleased to see that many people are happy with the company.

I am here to answer questions if you have any. I'll just post some thoughts first, though.

-- Schwan's products are a bit more pricey, but not as much as most people think. At meetings, we have done price comparisons and I was surprised to see that Schwan's is not as overpriced as a lot of people think. For example, the ice cream novelties (the cones, ice cream sandwiches, ice cream bars) are very reasonably priced. In many of them, you get 24 per box, and most of them average out to 54 cents for one cone or sandwich (some are lower).

-- The meats are very, very high quality. That is really what you pay for. Schwan's has a good reputation of putting out high quality food. They are very picky with their ingredients and are constantly looking for ways to improve them. I am not just saying this because I sell this stuff. It is tough to find the quality of Schwan's at a WinCo or other cost efficient grocery store.

-- Schwan's has a 100 percent satisfaction guarantee. Since I have been working for them, I have taken back a total of three or four items that people did not like. That is pretty impressive. If you don't like something, simply tell your CSM and he/she will gladly give you a full refund or credit your next order. Your choice.

-- The vegetables are some of the best selling items in the book. They are of very high quality.

-- As is the fish... I have never heard a complaint about our fish.

-- Schwan's is working hard to add healthier items to the catalog. There are a lot more LiveSmart products now, and I foresee more in the future. They just came out with a new sugar-free vanilla ice cream that is surprisingly good.

-- Being a Schwan's Man is tough. It really is. No, the work in itself is not hard; it is one of the easiest jobs that I have ever had. I have met some awesome people, and as a Christian, I LOVE the times when I get to fellowship with some of my customers.

Why is it tough? The hours. I start my day at 8:15 AM and don't get home until about 9 PM or sometimes later. Being a newlywed and young, this is very hard on me. My wife is doing okay with it, but I miss her so much during the day. So, it can be very disheartening when customers are rude. Worse is when you know they're home, but they won't answer the door. The bottom line is that most Schwan's drivers don't come to your house unless you as the customer have requested them to be there. I get most of my new customers through people seeing me on a street and asking me for a catalog. There is no contract; you buy when you want. I am very easygoing and I am not a salesman. If someone does not want anything, I do not make them feel guilty. I HATE when people buy out of guilt -- so please, do not do that. But not answering the door is disrespectful -- if nothing else, just say hello and I will be on my way. :) Usually, if I see someone not answering the door when I know they are there, I will remove them from the route. I guess this is just a matter of me having self-respect.

We only make what we sell -- there is no base salary. 11 percent, straight commission. This can be very good, and it can be very bad -- depending on the route.

All in all, Schwan's is a good service. It is not perfect, nor will your driver do the perfect things. Some drivers give everyone a bad name. Some can be way too pushy and that is not the way it is supposed to be done.

Remember -- you are paying for a service that comes directly to your door, that offers you high quality products. It is definitely not for everyone.

Have a great day!

Welcome to SS Rob!!!:) Thanks for all the information! I am sorry you have to deal with rude customers! I am sure there are a few great people that make your delivery route awesome!:D

I have tried many Schwan's items in the past and I love them! I could eat the pizzas everyday!:eek:

So I ordered a catalog and I want home delivery. Should I call Schwan's directly and ask them for home delivery? What do you recommend?

Thanks again!

CSMRob
01-27-2008, 05:08 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome! :)

Oddly enough, the pizzas are my least favorite items (except the mini pizzas). Schwan's also owns Tony's Pizza, Red Baron, and Frescetta. I think those taste better. :cool:

It's easy getting home delivery. If you have a catalog, there is an 800 number on the back (I think it is 888-Schwans). Tell them you want service and they will dispatch an e-mail to your local depot, and the driver for your area will get your request and you will get service within the next two weeks.

czech7985
01-27-2008, 05:11 PM
We've been Schwann's customers for over 25 yrs. I'd never heard of Schwans but a co worker was telling us about buying Schwan's products and eventually, I saw a Schwans truck in the neighborhood and flagged him down. When we first started, with Schwans, they came to your house every 3 weeks, then a few years later, it changed to every other week.

I don't buy from him every time and that seems to be ok. In fact, last Dec, the Union, where my husband works was going on strike. We told the Schwann's rep that we wouldn't be buying anything because of the strike and that he should take us off his list. He said he understood but would stop by once a month just to see how things were going. As it turned out, the strike was averted at the last minute so the next time he came around we were able to order.

We have ordered many things over the years. For a long time, my husband was eating their Bright Starts Bacon single pizzas, their Bright Starts ham, egg and cheese biscuit or Bright Starts Sausage Egg & Cheese biscuit for breakfast. He also tried their Deluxe Ham and Cheese omelet.

Our daughter likes their Crispy Chicken Breast strips and the Popcorn shrimp and the breaded pork loin cutlets. I send these items to school with her.
She has her own apartment (is a senior in college). Yes, the items are a little more spendy but I know they are good quality and you know how poorly college students eat as it is. I usually package the items in individual pkgs so she can get out one serving.

There have been Schwans items we have not liked but simply a matter of personal preference. The only bad item I've ever purchased was a ham, many years ago. It was so salty as to be inedible. I reported this ham to the Schwans dealer, at his next visit, and my money was cheerfully refunded. He indicated that they'd had to refund a lot of money for the hams as had a bad batch....all of which were too salty.

Until I read the posting from the Schwan's dealer, I didn't realize they worked strictly on commission but I do know that they put in LONG hours as with most women working outside the home, they're only able to catch their customers at home, after 5 pm or so. I've heard that some customers will leave their door unlocked and the Schwans dealer will come in, bring their order and put it into the freezer. That's not practical for us as our freezer is in the basement and we have a dog and a cat. The long hours are the main reason, we seem to get a new Schwan's dealer every so often. I don't think we've ever had a pushy salesman. If you say, "no", they usually thank you and leave without a fuss.

Over the years, we've had only one lousy Schwan's dealer. He must have alienated a lot of the customers because all of a sudden, we had a new Schwans dealer and on his first trip, the District manager came with him and discussed the previous dealer's behavior and apologized perfusely for the
previous dealer's behavior. I know we didn't care for this dealer's behavior and were at the point where we were going to tell Schwans, either we get a different dealer or else we're just going to discontinue our Schwan's business.

CSMRob
01-27-2008, 05:26 PM
czech,

Yes, the turnover rate at Schwan's is astronomical, and it is something that they are going to have to deal with. I'd love it if they would pay a base salary plus commission (say a 5 percent commission or so). Some drivers come on and the route is so bad that they make less than minimum wage. So, in many cases the turnover rate is understandable.

bvanpeltsw
01-27-2008, 05:29 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome! :)

Oddly enough, the pizzas are my least favorite items (except the mini pizzas). Schwan's also owns Tony's Pizza, Red Baron, and Frescetta. I think those taste better. :cool:

It's easy getting home delivery. If you have a catalog, there is an 800 number on the back (I think it is 888-Schwans). Tell them you want service and they will dispatch an e-mail to your local depot, and the driver for your area will get your request and you will get service within the next two weeks.

Wonderful! Thank you!!!!:)

And btw it is the mini pizzas I am referring to. VERY GOOD!:p

kuanyin1
01-27-2008, 06:26 PM
I forgot to put that the bag of chicken from Aldi only costs about $5!! :D

I get those bags at Save-a-lot too; I don't really like dark meat so its a good deal. I've been in the mood of chicken and dumplings lately too. I'll have to get with my crockpot later, lol. Yesterday I got 3lbs of chinken wings buy 1 get 1 for $6.99 my poor little freezer is stuffed for the moment. Now all I have to do is find wing recipes. :D

On another note: I'm an inventory auditor and am doing a bunch of Kohl's this week, lots of great clearance sales going on and I get paid Friday oh yeh I'm loving it.

mom2fussbudgets
01-27-2008, 07:34 PM
Rob, welcome to SS!

I appreciate all of the information you gave us very, very much. I never really thought of the reasons why Schwan's was more expensive, but the way you explained it makes perfect sense. Thanks so much for taking the time to post. I hope your company appreciates you!

Motherofthree
01-28-2008, 01:09 AM
You guys are teasing me!! LOL I have to wait till hubby comes back and then we will order a celebration meal!!!!:) :p

All the food sounds great!!

czech7985
02-01-2008, 09:36 AM
Just had a visit, from our Schwans man, last evening. He said he's found a different job, so last night's visit would be his last. I guess that doesn't surprise me as we've had more Schwans dealers over the last 25 plus years than I can remember. Of course, the hours are the big gripe. He said he found a job that is still working with food and with people but 8-5 hours!
I mentioned the posting on this WEB site from the Schwans dealer and told him how surprised I was to learn that they got a straight commission....no base pay.
He says if you work at any route, you can make a good living but states some Schwans dealers are lazy. They don't stop at each house, every time nor do they try to get new customers. I guess any job is what you put into it.

I like Schwans products but always kind of dread a new sales rep cause you never know what they'll be like.

starz123pet
02-01-2008, 02:11 PM
I have ordered from Schwan's for years. I can say as some others have that thier meat items are pricey,I order a variety of pizza,ice cream treats,and meal items. I can say that it rarely goes to waste. I consider that a savings because it doesn't get thrown in the trash or get fed to the dog.I use it as a supplement to my regular groceries, not as a grocery store.Love it.Yummy!

starz123pet
02-01-2008, 02:29 PM
I never said YOU ARE GOING OVERBOARD BY BUYING SCHWANS! You are reading into it way too much.

That is what I said. I had no idea the government would even allow it.

And in my house buying Schwan's is a luxury. I think to most people it is.

I Love Schwan's.I only buy a couple of items at a time,Not doing my entire shopping for it. Several years ago,I was injured and had food stamps.I bought less from the truck,but what I did get some items as I knew they would not sit in the fridge and grow mold.I felt the stigma of using food stamps,as some people make you feel degraded if they know.Maybe someday they will be in a situation,and welcome the assistance,and we shall see what they choose to eat.Just because you have a lesser income and get food stamps, why to some people feel you have to eat cheap slop?

czech7985
02-02-2008, 08:20 PM
I have suggested to various Schwans dealers that their company offer a tasting party, where customers could come and sample the various products. Some products I would consider buying IF I knew I'd like them. I hate to spend money on a box of some thing and then find I hate it. What do I do with it then?

Once in a while, may be once a year, I have seen a Schwans truck parked in a lot and selling from the truck. Since we have regular Schwans delivery, I never stop.

bvanpeltsw
02-02-2008, 11:34 PM
I Love Schwan's.I only buy a couple of items at a time,Not doing my entire shopping for it. Several years ago,I was injured and had food stamps.I bought less from the truck,but what I did get some items as I knew they would not sit in the fridge and grow mold.I felt the stigma of using food stamps,as some people make you feel degraded if they know.Maybe someday they will be in a situation,and welcome the assistance,and we shall see what they choose to eat.Just because you have a lesser income and get food stamps, why to some people feel you have to eat cheap slop?

I HAVE been on food stamps. And read what I said again. I guess you did not get the point.

mood4amelody
02-03-2008, 10:26 AM

I'm sure that no one feels like anyone should eat slop! I believe the general sentiment at this point is that 1. for most of us Schwans is a luxury 2.not everyone abuses foodstamps, but it happens quite often 3. you can make a decent, nice meal much more cheaply than anything you get from Schwans. 4. eveyone should splurge once in a while - what's the point if you don't?

I think the whole things been covered and if anyone misread it, then this should cover the bases for them in a simple, succinct way.

mood4amelody
02-03-2008, 10:29 AM
This is what my husband asked me to post- "Why should anyone eat get to eat steak when the guy that works 50 hours a week and pays the tax money for food stamps can only afford ground chuck?"

mom2fussbudgets
02-03-2008, 01:10 PM
This is what my husband asked me to post- "Why should anyone eat get to eat steak when the guy that works 50 hours a week and pays the tax money for food stamps can only afford ground chuck?"

Which was pretty much my point. :) Your husband said it very well.

dali_
02-03-2008, 02:09 PM

Because at any time, in the blink of an eye, it could be you that needs the help ;) And then you'll say "I've paid my tax dollars into this system all these years, why shouldn't I get some steak?" And, as I said before, budgeting - if you find you can budget steak into it... well, why not? (Hopefully without depriving children, ect. ;) )

kuanyin1
02-03-2008, 02:11 PM

Why is it that people automatically assume that anyone who get food stamps doesn't work? I have a full time job as an Inventory Auditor with RGIS Inventory Spe******t. I am also a paid Election Judge and will be working as such on Super Tuesday; and on my days off I babysit a 3 year old who has severe food allergies to Red 40, MSG, BHA, BHT the most severe one being Red 40 which can cause him to have seizures so I have to be very careful and read every label when I feed him. And even though I work, the State of Illinois has deemed that I meet their income requirements to qualify for monthly food stamps. The State doesn't dictate my diet and I would appreciate that no one else do so either.

dali_
02-03-2008, 03:23 PM
babysit a 3 year old who has severe food allergies to Red 40, MSG, BHA, BHT the most severe one being Red 40 which can cause him to have seizures so I have to be very careful and read every label when I feed him.

yikes :eek: I think I would require his parent(s) to provide all of his food, I wouldn't take a chance on anything else.

kuanyin1
02-03-2008, 03:28 PM
yikes :eek: I think I would require his parent(s) to provide all of his food, I wouldn't take a chance on anything else.

Its not that hard to feed him, you just have to read labels and plan accordingly and I eat healthier when he's around which is better for me.

mood4amelody
02-03-2008, 04:25 PM
Why is it that people automatically assume that anyone who get food stamps doesn't work? I have a full time job as an Inventory Auditor with RGIS Inventory Spe******t. I am also a paid Election Judge and will be working as such on Super Tuesday; and on my days off I babysit a 3 year old who has severe food allergies to Red 40, MSG, BHA, BHT the most severe one being Red 40 which can cause him to have seizures so I have to be very careful and read every label when I feed him. And even though I work, the State of Illinois has deemed that I meet their income requirements to qualify for monthly food stamps. The State doesn't dictate my diet and I would appreciate that no one else do so either.

I certainly did not assume that, and I don't believe my husband did either. I HAVE been there working full time, etc. There is nothing about it you can teach me. I don't think that since the government says it's okay, that it's automatically good. We're talking about a government that has run up billions in debt, ostrasized us from out allies by going into war without just cause, etc. Personally, I've found the judgement of our government to be tragically flawed in many, many cases. Just curious, do you claim the income from all these jobs you have on your food stamp applications? Are you state licensed for day care? If you aren't, you might look into that, as it pays very well. State day care tends to pay the sitter more than the working parent makes, ironically enough. Tell me that system isn't flawed?

My husband says, "I suppose you'd like an open bar tab to get some fine wine to go with that steak." Sorry, he is blunt. I am just passing on what he said.

mood4amelody
02-03-2008, 04:28 PM
Because at any time, in the blink of an eye, it could be you that needs the help ;) And then you'll say "I've paid my tax dollars into this system all these years, why shouldn't I get some steak?" And, as I said before, budgeting - if you find you can budget steak into it... well, why not? (Hopefully without depriving children, ect. ;) )

I don't mean to say that anyone can't splurge on something or budget to get it. I think I'm redundant in having to say it again. And, I'd entirely remove the word "Hopefully" out of that last sentance because if you are depriving the children to get a steak for yourself, that's not "budgeting". I think you didn't mean it quite like that...?

mood4amelody
02-03-2008, 04:39 PM
You know, if I were still on foodstamps, I'd be busier argueing a case of "Why can't I buy toilet paper and soap products with food stamps?" with someone whose opinion counts(gov't), than I would be busy arguing "Why shouldn't I buy steak and junk food on food stamps?" with someone whose opinion doesn't really matter (me).

bvanpeltsw
02-03-2008, 04:50 PM
Let's just drop this, okay. It is like beating a dead horse and it is getting old.

dali_
02-03-2008, 05:37 PM
I don't mean to say that anyone can't splurge on something or budget to get it. I think I'm redundant in having to say it again. And, I'd entirely remove the word "Hopefully" out of that last sentance because if you are depriving the children to get a steak for yourself, that's not "budgeting". I think you didn't mean it quite like that...?

That's what the ;) was for, I tend to be a bit (or maybe a lot :D ) sarcastic sometimes. Those of us that don't have kids don't tend to think of how to budget them in, so I was mentioning them only from the point that was brought up about them before, where for the most part I'm speaking more from my life. Where, btw, I don't get to budget steak in very often at all, I'm just saying if you see someone buying them while in line, maybe it's a rare splurge, or maybe for whatever reason they can budget it in regularly.

I completely agree with you on toilet paper and soaps should be available, I kind of assume it's an argument that's tried to be fought for before tho. I had a cousin who ran a food pantry, and many years ago (long before I was born) she was apparently one of the first to think of having such things available thru the food pantry, promoting the idea of "how can you get a job if you aren't clean?"

Anyway, I didn't think anyone was arguing, just discussing, and giving an answer to your hubby's question.

kuanyin1
02-03-2008, 05:49 PM
I certainly did not assume that, and I don't believe my husband did either. I HAVE been there working full time, etc. There is nothing about it you can teach me. I don't think that since the government says it's okay, that it's automatically good. We're talking about a government that has run up billions in debt, ostrasized us from out allies by going into war without just cause, etc. Personally, I've found the judgement of our government to be tragically flawed in many, many cases. Just curious, do you claim the income from all these jobs you have on your food stamp applications? Are you state licensed for day care? If you aren't, you might look into that, as it pays very well. State day care tends to pay the sitter more than the working parent makes, ironically enough. Tell me that system isn't flawed?

My husband says, "I suppose you'd like an open bar tab to get some fine wine to go with that steak." Sorry, he is blunt. I am just passing on what he said.

As a political activist, if you are disgruntled with the Government I would recommend that you find a candidate the echoes your views on the issues and then get out there and campaign for him/her...that's what I do everyday, I'm currently campaigning for Huckabee because my first choice Duncan Hunter endorsed him after he dropped out of the race.

I do declare all of my sources of income to the DHS when I have to re-apply every 6 months. I am not a state licensed daycare but have thought about going back to school to get my degree/license but the money is in private daycare not state subsidized care. I babysat for my God Son a few years ago, his mother went through the YWCA subsidized program and through them I was only paid $4.74 A DAY for babysitting a special needs infant with Erb's Palsy.

As far as the open bar tab or the fine wine I'll pass on it thanks anyway; but I'll be happy to send your Hubby some fine Wisconsin cheese to go with his whine.

kuanyin1
02-03-2008, 05:57 PM
Those of us that don't have kids don't tend to think of how to budget them in, so I was mentioning them only from the point that was brought up about them before, where for the most part I'm speaking more from my life.

I disagree, I have never forgotten to "budget" in the cat food or litter for my furry kids.

dali_
02-03-2008, 06:02 PM
I disagree, I have never forgotten to "budget" in the cat food or litter for my furry kids.

lol Well, I do do that ;)

mood4amelody
02-03-2008, 06:42 PM
As a political activist, if you are disgruntled with the Government I would recommend that you find a candidate the echoes your views on the issues and then get out there and campaign for him/her...

I do declare all of my sources of income to the DHS when I have to re-apply every 6 months. I am not a state licensed daycare but have thought about going back to school to get my degree/license but the money is in private daycare not state subsidized care.

As far as the open bar tab or the fine wine I'll pass on it thanks anyway; but I'll be happy to send your Hubby some fine Wisconsin cheese to go with his whine.

Funny that you assume I am not politically active. I do support, campaign for, and did go to the caucas for a candidate I believe in. Your assumption that I do none of those is in error.

I have done daycare and been paid by the state, and at a point before that my childrens' daycare was largely funded by the state. When my 4 children's care was funded by the state 9 years ago, the sitter was taking in a considerably larger paycheck than I was bringing in, and I had a co-pay as well. It would have cut out the middle man to have the mommy stay home with the kids at a third of what the daycare was being paid in that instance! As it would have been an increase for the family (mostly of quality time) and less a burden on the state. I did question that, and did write to all the representatives I had, starting at the local level and up to the white house. The entire system doesn't make any sense. When I myself was providing daycare and being paid by the state, I was paid a reasonable rate, and all though I never used it, reimbursement for food served was also available for the provider. It may be worth your while and time to find out about becoming a state provider. Mainly the qualifications aren't anything horrific. Clean, safe home, provide meals, have a land based phone, pass a background check. No license is needed for up to a certain amount of children. There are also resources like toy libraries, lots of free online "school" materials, etc.

Can I have the cheese? I am the one that has to listen to him all the time? lol

I'm not putting what his reply is 'cause I think it was just mean.

PVUgrad
10-02-2008, 04:48 PM
I just saw our Schwans man and asked for a catalog. YUM! Then I remembered this thread, and came here looking for what to buy that was REALLY good. 12 pages, and maybe only 2 full pages of food items. :(

So that being said....has anyone tried the Autumn Treat Ice Cream? (pumpkin pie with cinnamon and pecans) I don't mind paying a little more for GOOD ice cream. And I think I will try the frozen bread dough. $4.59 for 3 loaves...not bad.

bvanpeltsw
10-02-2008, 05:20 PM
Their whole catalog is about 60-70 pages. I just got one in the mail last week. I do like their ice cream, but I do not buy it. I think a lot of their things are over-priced these days even though their pizzas are awesome!

PVUgrad
10-02-2008, 07:08 PM
That is why I asked because I want my money well spent. :)

Our driver just left, and as a new customer he gave me a 1/2 gallon of the pumpkin ice cream free! So I guess you can say I got a freebie due to this forum. :D

bvanpeltsw
10-02-2008, 09:12 PM
That is why I asked because I want my money well spent. :)

Our driver just left, and as a new customer he gave me a 1/2 gallon of the pumpkin ice cream free! So I guess you can say I got a freebie due to this forum. :D

What did you get? Let me know how the ice cream is. That really sounds good!

bunny
10-03-2008, 09:37 AM
my mom orders from schwans. when I was a kid we used to get the raspberry yogurt push ups they were sooooo good but they discontinued them BOOHOO . They have the best ice creams and there potpies are good too. a lot of times on Fridays you can find a truck parked along roads selling there stuff at a discounted price.

PVUgrad
10-03-2008, 02:17 PM
my mom orders from schwans. when I was a kid we used to get the raspberry yogurt push ups they were sooooo good but they discontinued them BOOHOO . They have the best ice creams and there potpies are good too. a lot of times on Fridays you can find a truck parked along roads selling there stuff at a discounted price.

Really? Of course now that I will be watching for them, I won't see them.

We bought the peach frozen yogurt with chunks of peaches, YUM, and a pint of their coffee ice cream. Now we are talking REAL coffee ice cream. He gave us the Autumn trail ice cream which is great! Taste like a yummy pumpkin pie with sugar coated pecans. Then I tried the herb garlic potato & vegetable blend. Nice chucks of potatoes and broccoli. Could have used more seasoning though. Going to mix the rest of the bag with cooked chicken for dinner.

lakeminer
10-27-2008, 11:18 AM
We get him every two weeks and if i dont order something then he doesnt show up for a month!!!! If i really want something i place my order on line. our favorites are the french fries and the southern style biscuits, have tried the crab legs [seasonal] and they are great! Our guy is kinda weird and sometimes asks to use our bathroom which i dont like one bit but what do you say?:eek:

bugspost
12-04-2009, 08:26 PM
Code: M2
Discount: 5% when you order in advance online or 1-888-SCHWANS
Expires: 12-31-2009

bugspost
12-04-2009, 09:41 PM
http://www.schwans.com/products/specials.aspx

Special Holiday Price - Save $3.00 on JEFF GORDON™ WIDE OPEN MINT CHIP SWIRL
Offer valid for delivery through 12/31/2009

Buy 2 Marinade-on-Demand™ Products for $14.99
Offer valid for delivery through 12/26/2009

Save on these limited time offers available on-line and through your customer service manager.
Buy an Entree, a Side, and a Dessert and Save $5.00

Buy 2 Premium Coffee for $14.99

You save more when you buy more of these customer favorite products.
Buy 2 or more "Single Serve" Macaroni & Cheese
Buy 2 for $6.00 Buy 3 for $8.00 Buy 4 for $10.00

Buy 3 PIZZERIA STYLE pizzas, Save $3.00
Mix or Match 3 or more PIZZERIA STYLE™ pizzas and save $3.00

Buy 2 Save $3.00 or Buy 3 Save $5.00
Mix & Match Holiday Entrees & Appetizers

Buy 3 SPECIAL RECIPE™ Pizzas, Save $2.50
Mix or Match any 3 or more SPECIAL RECIPE™ Pizzas and save $2.50

Buy 3 Fire Baked pizzas, Save $3
Mix or Match any 3 or more Fire Baked and save $3

bvanpeltsw
12-05-2009, 12:49 AM
My Schwan's guy has not been here in a month. Just when I thought they were getting better....:rolleyes:

Jmorri8
12-05-2009, 02:10 PM
Mine come every other Wednesday. Rain or shine. Always a smile.

kt208
12-05-2009, 05:01 PM
My Schwan's guy has not been here in a month. Just when I thought they were getting better....:rolleyes:
our guy didn't come for a month either even after i had been placing an order online...so i finally called the company and canceled all service, they had no clue what happened to the guy...very weird???

czech7985
12-06-2009, 11:42 AM
We've been Schwann's customers for many years (30+) and for many years, you could count on having the same sales rep/driver on your route and knew him by name. They'd stay for 1-2 yrs. Now they seem to change sales reps/drivers every 2-3 months. We've had it happen where we get one guy one week and another guy two weeks later.
I'm told the guys don't like the long hours and having to work into the evenings, when many customers are home. and they always seem to find some thing better that pays just as well.
There was one sales rep/driver that alienated so many people, they actually sent out a district manager, with the new sales rep/driver to appease people and ask them what their experiences were with the old, nasty driver.
We had an experience within the past year, the new driver/sales rep was a brother to a girl that our oldest daughter had hung around with. Bryce came to our house once and from that point on, we didn't see a Schwans dealer for at least 4 months. We figured they'd dropped us from their list. Then all of a sudden one appeared on our door. We told him, we hadn't seen
a Schwans dealer for a long time. He said, they had problems keeping drivers and the records were all fouled up. But now they had every thing straightened out and found that we had been customers, so stopped in to see if we wanted anything.
The products are good and if you have a complaint about a product, you will get a refund.

saige3597
12-08-2009, 12:52 AM
I was a driver for Schwans 4 years .And the hours are so long and the pay is really not that good so they have a huge turn over in people . The food is amazing. So many people deal with the ever changing drivers. Alot of thedrivers skip people if they dont buy from them everytime. So that could be why you were over looked 4 so long . Alot of the drivers just dont care . !!

bugspost
12-13-2009, 08:41 PM
I just ordered the Wild Rice Pilaf & Italian meatballs along w/ a pecan pie and pumpkin pie plus some quesadillas & cheese garlic bread. The pumpkin pie at Thanksgiving was very good. I saved $10 plus usd M2 to get another $3 off w/the 5%.
I am having Christmas dinner for my folks and then boxing day(day after Christmas) buffet dinner w/folks, son and DIL and grandkids so have to plan two menus..........:)

More specials:

Wild Rice Pilaf ONLY $2.99
Offer valid for delivery through 12/19/2009 -

Save $5.00 on Diced Chicken Breast Meat
Offer valid for delivery through 12/19/2009 -

Italian Style Meatballs ONLY $5.99 (Save $3.00)
Offer valid for delivery through 12/19/2009

Buy 2 Marinade-on-Demand™ Products for $14.99
Offer valid for delivery through 12/26/2009 -

Save 50% on Vanilla Strawberry Sorbet Swirl

bvanpeltsw
12-13-2009, 09:08 PM
We lost yet AGAIN another delivery driver and we have not had service in over a month.

I am really wondering how they stay in business because they do not really seem to care when you call customer service.:rolleyes:

Cpogie
12-14-2009, 01:41 AM
We lost yet AGAIN another delivery driver and we have not had service in over a month.

I am really wondering how they stay in business because they do not really seem to care when you call customer service.:rolleyes:

WOW, must be a hard job. My SIL drove for them also, one day he had 90 stops! My delivery person has worked for them 12 years and says he loves it. I guess you have to be a certain type to do this job....I haven't ordered anything in quite a while, but, next year I plan to try some new things.

PVUgrad
12-14-2009, 07:25 PM
I just ordered the Wild Rice Pilaf & Italian meatballs along w/ a pecan pie and pumpkin pie plus some quesadillas & cheese garlic bread. T[/I]

Hey, I just ordered the rice pilaf and meatballs too. But my rice was 4.99! GRRR :mad: Most of my ordering is based on the reviews. We just had the roasted baby bakers. Interesting and handy and not too bad except they are TINY!

I LOVE the chicken egg rolls....very good and really quick in the microwave. The Philly beef steak is really good and easy too. Ready in minutes and I add peppers and onions and on a sub roll within 10 minutes!

The BEST is the Beef Pot Roast! We only get it for special occasions, maybe 3 times a year due to cost. OMG, that meat just melts in your mouth. I wonder where they get that cut? I have never had a bad one yet.

bugspost
12-26-2009, 11:59 PM
The rice pilaf was very good. The garlic cheese bread was a big hit today.
I wasn't crazy about the pecan pie, though. Haven't tried the apple streusel yet as we just had tons of food and I didn't make it.

Here are some specials going on:

Internet Only Offers

Exclusive offers only available when you order online.

Save $3.00 on JEFF GORDON™ WIDE OPEN MINT CHIP SWIRL
Offer valid for delivery through 12/31/2009

Save $5.00 on Fully Cooked Bacon Slices
Offer valid for delivery through 1/2/2010

Save $3.00 on CHEESY QUIK TATERS™

Save $2 on SCHWAN’S SAUCE IN SECONDS® Cheese

Bonus Specials

Buy 2 or more Single Pack LiveSmart™ Dinners Buy 2 for $7.99 Buy 3 for $10.99

Buy 2 for $6.00 Buy 3 for $8.00 Buy 4 for $10.00

bvanpeltsw
12-27-2009, 01:03 AM
Thanks Linda! We have a driver again so hopefully we will have regular service.

bugspost
01-16-2010, 05:49 PM
Anyone know of any discount code this month??

Exclusive offers only available when you order online

Buy 2 Fresco by Scotto® Products and Save $3.00
Buy 2 Fresco by Scotto® Products and Save $3
Offer valid for delivery through 2/13/2010

Online Hot Deal - Save $1.00 on Cinnamon Ice Cream
Online Hot Deal - Save $1.00 on Cinnamon Ice Cream

Online Hot Deal - Save 50% on Marinade-on-Demand™ Chimichurri Beef
Online Hot Deal - Save 50% on Marinade-on-Demand™ Chimichurri Beef
Offer valid for delivery through 2/14/2010

Online HotDeal - 50% off Marinade-on-Demand™ Herb and Garlic Pork
Online HotDeal - 50% off Marinade-on-Demand™ Herb and Garlic Pork
Offer valid for delivery through 2/14/2010

Other Specials

Save on these limited time offers available on-line and through your customer service manager.

Buy 3 Select Pizza and Save $3.00
Buy 3 Select Pizza and Save $3.00
Offer valid for delivery through 2/6/2010

Buy 2 for the price of 1 on DESSERT FOR ONE™ products
Buy 2 for the price of 1 on DESSERT FOR ONE™ products

Bonus Specials

Buy 2 or more Single Pack LiveSmart™ Dinners
Buy 2 or more Single Pack LiveSmart™ Dinners
Buy 2 for $7.99 Buy 3 for $10.99

Buy 2 for $6.00 Buy 3 for $8.00
Buy 4 for $10.00

bvanpeltsw
01-16-2010, 06:43 PM
There isn't a discount code. I talked to Schwan's and they will not be offering one for quite some time.:rolleyes:

bugspost
01-16-2010, 07:47 PM
I ordered:
DESSERT FOR ONE(tm) Brownie & Fudge (2)
Single Serve Macaroni & Cheese (4)
BBQ Pork
Broccoli & Cheese

I really like their dessert for ones and they are BOGO free right now.
I saved $9.15 w/the specials.

BTW......the asparagus is excellent. I am baking the apple streusel right now.

PVUgrad
01-16-2010, 10:45 PM
Placed an order to be delivered next Thursday...but I forgot what I ordered! LOL

Cpogie
02-12-2010, 12:42 PM
I just wanted you all to know that the Vanilla Ice Cream cups are excellent ( and are real ice cream!), you get 24 for about $11.00. Also, the Potato Shreds are excellent and make great Hash Browns! The Strawberry Bars are excellent too.

bvanpeltsw
02-12-2010, 05:36 PM
Ok so here is what I ordered and LOVE!

Chicken cordon bleu
Nutty Buddy Bars
Fried rice
sugar snap peas
mediterranean vegetable blend (LOVE THIS!)
Mini pizzas

bugspost
02-12-2010, 08:27 PM
Individual mac & cheese are good.

I just got the Penne pasta Vodka w/chicken and baked pasta w/mushrooms & spinach.
Also, the baby roaster potatoes are excellent.

Love their little individual sundae cups too!!

myhideaway08
02-13-2010, 04:02 PM
Sorry everyboby, but there food is loaded with salt.This is not for me.....

bvanpeltsw
02-13-2010, 04:08 PM
Sorry everyboby, but there food is loaded with salt.This is not for me.....

Not everything they offer is and I am on a low salt diet AND I still eat their food.

Cpogie
03-11-2010, 12:09 PM
I'm going to try the Chicken Cordon Bleu tonight. I'm first going to bake it as it suggests, and serve it with the sauce I make with Marsala Wine. YUM.

The Sugar Snap Peas are excellent and cook in just minutes. I need to get my freezers down so I can buy more!!

bvanpeltsw
03-11-2010, 03:16 PM
I'm going to try the Chicken Cordon Bleu tonight. I'm first going to bake it as it suggests, and serve it with the sauce I make with Marsala Wine. YUM.

The Sugar Snap Peas are excellent and cook in just minutes. I need to get my freezers down so I can buy more!!

I looooove both items you mentioned here! I just ordered the chicken parm today! YUMMY!

Cpogie
03-11-2010, 05:50 PM
I looooove both items you mentioned here! I just ordered the chicken parm today! YUMMY!

I almost ordered the Chicken Parm. last time, have you tried it yet or is it the first time trying it? It looks really good. I was impressed at how nice the Chick cordon bleu looks.

bvanpeltsw
03-11-2010, 06:02 PM
I almost ordered the Chicken Parm. last time, have you tried it yet or is it the first time trying it? It looks really good. I was impressed at how nice the Chick cordon bleu looks.

It is my first time buying it. I will let you know if it is good.;)

bugspost
03-11-2010, 08:23 PM
Their corn on the cob is awesome.....really went good w/my brisket.

Yesterday, I got pot roast, mashed potatoes, corn on cob, peas & cherry pie.

They had special....buy potato, veggie & dessert $4 off.
Their pot roast & sliced boneless ham is $5 off. I had the ham at Christmas brunch & it was nice....no waste being boneless.

Asentha
03-12-2010, 06:05 PM
I ordered the apple pies for my mom, my aunt and myself. I also really like the pork BBQ. I had to spice it up a little to my taste though. Added some Jack Daniels BBQ sauce. Jack goes well with juct about anything! :D

Cpogie
03-13-2010, 06:07 PM
We tried the Chicken Cordon Bleu and it was good, but I have to say I make this better. But, this is good and quick to make in the oven. I'd rate it an 8 out of a 10.

My friend tried the Cheese and Herb Biscuits and said they are really good!

prdyrdhd
03-14-2010, 12:14 AM
Yes, the chicken cordon bleu is awesome. Their juice mixes are good too, though rather sugary. I love the pierogies. And hubby likes the queso dip...I can't remember the name of it right now.

rebate queen
03-20-2010, 12:40 PM
http://icds.schwans.com/images/quickbytes/2010/HouseParty/images/hdrHave3.gifhttp://icds.schwans.com/images/quickbytes/template/spacer.gifhttp://icds.schwans.com/images/quickbytes/template/spacer.gifSince you’re a great customer, we’d like to show our appreciation by offering you this exclusive chance to gather friends and family on May 22, 2010, for a Schwan’s Home Service Making Simple Spectacular House Party! You’ll get a first taste of how simple meal making can be spectacular with easy-to-prepare, mouth-watering delights from Schwan’s Home Service.

To make hosting this party simple, Schwan’s Home Service has partnered with House Party, the country’s leading online party organizer! Their online tools make it a snap to invite guests, upload pictures and videos, blog with other hosts, and have a great party in your home!

Schwan’s Home Service will even get the party started by giving hosts $110 worth of Schwan’s® food!

If selected, you’ll also get a party pack filled with amazing easy-entertaining tips, coupons, tasty recipes, and lots more on the menu. Sign up today. This is one delivery you won’t want to miss!

Host spots are limited for this simply spectacular event. So apply today!

bvanpeltsw
03-20-2010, 01:00 PM
The chicken parm is great! I made it with pasta and sauce and we loved it!

Cpogie
03-20-2010, 01:15 PM
The chicken parm is great! I made it with pasta and sauce and we loved it!

Sounds good, I'll have to order that one and give it a try. The Cheese and Herb biscuits are really good, my friend gave me some of them. I'll be ordering them for sure.

bvanpeltsw
03-20-2010, 01:43 PM
Sounds good, I'll have to order that one and give it a try. The Cheese and Herb biscuits are really good, my friend gave me some of them. I'll be ordering them for sure.

I've heard a few people mention those biscuits so I am going to try them next time.

Cpogie
03-20-2010, 01:46 PM
You get 18 of them for 6.99....not bad and you can bake as many or few as you want....I think I'm getting hungry..

Cpogie
05-21-2010, 03:08 PM
I just ordered the English Toffee ice cream bars, the Fudge sticks, the Mini bow tie pasta & veggies, and the French Bread baguette's....yum!

momsangel
05-21-2010, 05:03 PM
I just ordered the English Toffee ice cream bars, the Fudge sticks, the Mini bow tie pasta & veggies, and the French Bread baguette's....yum!

thank you wonderful carol, I will be coming to stay with you:p:D

Cpogie
05-21-2010, 05:04 PM
thank you wonderful carol, I will be coming to stay with you:p:D

YEAH!! If I would of known it was that easy I would of ordered this stuff earlier!! Come on over, we can eat ice cream all day!!!!

bugspost
05-22-2010, 03:56 AM
The potato rounds are very good..........they are like squished tater tots..HA HA
They crisp up nice in the oven and taste good..........had them w/steaks tonight and was a big hit w/the grandkids. Also, I like their italian meatballs.

erikad332
05-22-2010, 08:11 PM
omg...i used to order from Schwans almost every two weeks but since i moved into my new house the schwans man never stops by. would think he would want more orders and increase his sales....guess not. he has never even stopped when he sees us out in the front yard.

Cpogie
06-04-2010, 01:31 PM
Just ordered more of those Heath type ice cream bars, they are sooooo good! and the French Bread, last order he did not have my bread!!

magic_ashleigh
06-12-2010, 11:36 PM
We always had our freezer stocked full of the personal-size pizzas when I was growing up. If Schwann's is too expensive, try Red Baron's--it says right on the box they are owned by Schwann's now. Same mini-pizzas, I think--not sure if it's the same sauce, though. The breakfast pizzas also have the Schwann's look too.

bvanpeltsw
07-01-2010, 10:38 PM
Code KM will give you $10 off $50

mom
07-18-2010, 08:25 PM
are there any other's that will deliver and that are not so high :)

bvanpeltsw
07-18-2010, 11:09 PM
are there any other's that will deliver and that are not so high :)

Not that I have ever seen.

Cpogie
08-31-2011, 10:47 AM
Anyone try anything new here lately? I haven't ordered anything in a really long time.

saved1
11-10-2011, 10:03 AM
I like to buy their pizzas when on sale.
We got ice cream for a lot of months until hubbie found it's cheaper to buy at our local grocery. They didn't even COME up to our home but STILL charged obscene amount $1.75 for each order. Its cheaper for use to get ice cream [Schwan's] in the store in town.
I did really love the seasonal Triple Lemon Yogurt, mmmm lip smackin' good. just available summers, though.

sksweeps
11-14-2011, 02:16 PM
I'd love to try Schwann's but am on a very tight budget now, maybe when things get better!

btreadway
11-30-2011, 11:39 AM
We haven't had Schwan's delivery in our area for years. If we have, no one ever comes by our house:(

So...I've been in TN for a wee bit over 5 months now, and last night a Shwans guy shows up---1st time, and unannounced. No bother...I didn't make or have any plans for dinner, so this was cool.
We used to get Schwans delivered bi-weekly back in NJ. I ordered my "usual" items. Lemon-pepper chicken is a favorite of mine---really quickens things up during the week! and its quite tasty. Also got the big box of fudge pops-they're usually gone 2-3 days after the driver leaves! Never makes a full 2 weeks.

Anywho....He suggested an ice cream that...I think is new. I never saw it before anyway. OMG. It is soooooo good.

Scwhan's Vanilla n' chocolate Mini. They come in a box of 20, and they are bite size (about 4 bites- women-lol) chocolate (shell)covered vanilla ice cream. WOW....I love these things. I probably could use some samples of clean & clear or biore or morning burst in a few days though.....between last night and today....I have 4 left! Yup----call me a pig, but these things are amazing! :D
Anybody else get Schwans delivered and have any favorites?[/QUOTE]

Cpogie
11-30-2011, 11:48 AM
We haven't had Schwan's delivery in our area for years. If we have, no one ever comes by our house:(

Anybody else get Schwans delivered and have any favorites?[/QUOTE]

I haven't had a Schwans delivery for a loooong time. I love the ice cream bars, but like you they are gone in just days....I will have to look on line and order more of those soon. There are some other things I like also, but can't think of what they are called right now...thanks for reminding me of Schwans!!

bradenj21
01-09-2012, 02:48 AM
Push Pops!

CARROLIN
01-21-2012, 02:12 PM
You know what's excellent? The italian meat balls, and
their philly steaks! The philly staks come at about $2 per
serving, i sautee up some peppers and mushrooms throw
one of the steals in the pan, put it on a roll and yum! The meat seperates as it cooks. The bag of
meatballs go far also...on a lazy night i'll nuke about 5 for
each person with spaghetti, or make bombers w/ sauce and
cheese...i've even cut them up to put into my lasagna! The
philly steaks are 6 for $12...and you'd be shocked how many
uses you get out of the bag of meatballs for $9 for a family
of 4 adults i get about 3 dinners from the meat balls, and 2
dinners from the steaks because i had the peppers and mushrooms,
i also like saute onions to.

Smiles.

Cpogie
01-24-2012, 05:57 PM
I just placed an order. Something I haven't done in a loooong time. Dh wanted some of their ice cream bars and he wanted to try their blueberry "pucks" muffins, that you bake yourself, sounded interesting.

poseyn
01-31-2012, 10:46 PM
Schwan's is a lot like Sara Lee--she doesn't make anything bad!!

Cpogie
07-28-2012, 06:17 PM
Just ordered ice cream bars and frozen yogurt....haven't ordered from them in months...

NancyBJ
08-04-2013, 10:44 PM
OMG! I am eating their ice cream bars (chocolate with vanilla ice cream) I have been craving them for two weeks now-if I didn't know better I'd think I was pregnant. They are making a great new vanilla ice cream mixed with orange sherbert- Yum! Love their oven-baked breaded chicken in the Live Smart line and frozen Strawberry fruit bars. :)